Does God have a Favorite Religion?
Yes, and it's a religion of shared humanity.
It even as it's own spiritual alphabet.
For the Bowen-Cabe Class of First UMC, Little Rock
October 1, 2017
After many years of interfaith dialogue, I’ve decided -- half playfully but mostly seriously -- that God has a favorite religion. It can include but does not require belief in God or being formally religious. I’ll share it with our class today.
By the way, who or what is God, anyway?
- God is a Life in whose heart the universe lives and moves and has its being
- God has two sides: a Listening side and an Empowering Side
- The empowering side works through persuasion not coercion
- God is all-loving but not all-powerful
- God needs us and we need God
- God is a Friend to life; God does not need to be flattered
- Jesus called God “Abba”
- We might also call it the Religion of Kindness and Beauty
- It can be practiced by people who are not religiously affiliated
- It does not need to be named to be practiced.
- Well, collecting scraps of light is part of it. And so is love.
- But it’s really about becoming as alive as you can be, depending on what is possible in the circumstances of your life.
- My mother, Virginia McDaniel, is now coming alive at age 100, despite the difficulties of being old.
- It has an entire spiritual alphabet developed by Mary Ann and Frederic Brussat in Spirituality and Practice.
What is the Spiritual Alphabet?
- "A" is for Attention
- "B" is for Beauty
- "B" is for Being Present
- "C" is for Compassion
- "C" is for Connections
- "D" is for Devotion
- "E" is for Enthusiasm
- "F" is for Faith
- "G" is for Grace
- "G" is for Gratitude
- "H" is for Hospitality
- "H" is also for Hope
- "I" is for Imagination
- "J" is for Joy
- "J" is for Justice
- "K" is for Kindness
- "L" is for Listening
- "L" is also for Love
- "M" is for Meaning
- "N" is for Nurturing
- "O" is for Openness
- "P" is for Peace
- "P" is for Play
- "Q" is for Questing
- "R" is for Reverence
- "S" is for Shadow
- "S" is for Silence
- "T" is for Teachers (learning from)
- "T" is for Transformation
- "U" is for Unity
- "V" is for Vision
- "W" is for Wonder
- "X" is for Mystery
- "Y" is for Yearning
- "Z" is for Zeal (a love of life)